Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Chicken or Turkey Scallopini Recipe

Thank you Dawn for sharing this go to & easy recipe for a classic Italian dish.

Scaloppine:
  • 1 and 1/2 or 2 pounds of boneless chicken or turkey breast
  • 1/4 flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cups small mushrooms halved
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic, pressed
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon minced parsley
Place chicken breast in freezer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until surface of meat is thoroughly chilled and slightly firm. Cut meat crosswise in 1/4 inch slices.

Mix flour, salt, paprika and white pepper together. Flour chicken, shake off excess. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and oil in large skillet. Add layer of chicken and brown lightly on both sides. As meat is browned, remove and keep warm. Brown remaining slices, adding butter and oil as needed. When all chicken in browned and removed from skillet, add mushrooms and garlic. Saute lightly.

Return browned chicken to skills. In a bowl, combine wine, lemon juice, Italian seasonings and parsley; stir. Pour over the chicken & mushrooms in skillet and simmer rapidly for 5 to 10 minutes until the liquid is reduced and chicken tender.

Dawn's notes on this dish:
(This recipe is) one of my favorite go-to weeknight meals.  I have my butcher pound out the boneless chicken breasts ahead of time into large cutlets. I’m not a big veal or turkey fan but I’m sure it’s just as good.  I use crimini mushrooms.  This gets adjusted all the time based on what’s growing in my garden – Italian seasoning can be oregano, basil, garlic, parsley – whatever you have.  Dried is fine too.
Robert sometimes adds cayenne for a little kick.  I always put extra parsley on top.  The sauce is super yummy and I usually serve with haricot-verts and Israeli couscous or rice pilaf.  Takes less than an hour.  I almost never eat Italian out - I laugh when I see $25+ for an entrĂ©e of piccata, scallopine, oreganata, francese.  They are so simple to make and the base is the same for us.  They are our weeknight staples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment