Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

CUT, Las Vegas

Second dinner in Las Vegas was at CUT steakhouse in Palazzo. This is a Wolfgang Puck establishment and I'm a big fan of his other restaurants in Las Vegas.

The decor is cool, cold even with lots of brown, gold, glass and leather. We were seated at 7pm to a pretty empty restaurant and were given a table in the way back. During our time there it did fill up about half the tables.


Not in a mood to drink a bottle, I ordered a glass of pinot noir that lasted through the dinner. After water and menus were given, our waiter came over with a large platter of various cuts of meat to show the difference in marbling, color and size of the featured steaks like the Wagyu and the dry aged filets.

The menu is straight forwards...it's steak baby, all the way. Mom and I started off with an appetizer each before our steaks. She choose the roasted Windrose Farm baby beet salad with French Feta, toasted pistachio, citrus, micro basil and mint.

I didn't try the dish but Mom loved it and talked about it again the following day.

I ordered the warm asparagus salad with poached egg and warm bacon vinaigrette and it was spectacular!! A brioche underneath and the combination of the organic egg and bacon just added such down home comfort with complexity. Really fabulous!


For our steak, my Mother ordered the same cut I did...the Illinois, 21 day wet aged, 20 ounce bone in rib eye cooked to a medium rare. The restaurant says that the cooking style is grilled over hardwood and charcoal and then finished under 1200 degree broiler with butter.


The side dish we ordered was the yukon gold potato puree. As you can see from the picture above, the steak looked fabulous and when cut into was pretty pink - not quite as red as I like but not to the point I would have said it was overcooked.

Then I tasted it. Blah. No real flavor at all. As this is a cut that I love and we grill at home so I know what it's potential should be. Not sure if the issue was the wet aged or if it was the cooking process but it might as well have been a sirloin. Very disappointing. A mixed bag that ended on a bad note and my rating reflects that.

Jenn's Rating: 78
Zagat: 26-24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment