Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Eating in Sin City: Scarpetta

There's a real danger in having an amazing meal: that the magic can't be recaptured. I worry about this every time we revisit a place that scored high or that was truly memorable...will it be able to live up? While in Vegas we took that chance by going back to Scarpetta.

M&S went during their anniversary trip in 2012 and raved about it. So I went with Mom in October of the same year and was thrilled that we had such a similiar - fantastic meal. Going for the three-peat, we booked our final dinner there this last trip. It would Alan's first experience.

We were seated at one of the large, comfortable semi-circular booths that are quite nice. But this one was located so close to the entrance I felt immediately like we were missing out on the ambiance you get when you go deep into the center of this dark, modern yet chic restaurant. We also couldn't see the Bellagio fountains.

We ordered a round of appetizers and then pasta dishes. I don't have all the dishes captured in pictures but you'll get a sense...

White asparagus soup with crab & croutons. I ordered this - I love cream based soups and crab is my favorite thing on the planet...especially blue crab which this dish contained. And can't imagine my disappointment when I realized it was lacking seasoning and came off as quite bland. Couldn't really taste the crab and the whole thing needed salt or something savory to save the dish.
Raw yellowtail. Fresh, nice.
Crispy fritto misto (seafood, vegetables, lentils). Why lentils? Ok.

Braised short ribs with vegetables and farro risotto. Nicely cooked - fall apart beef. Good dish overall.

Pici with lobster, tarragon & almond and chili pesto. This sounds like something that should have just had my name on it. But the tarragon was overwhelming and the other favors got lost. Such a shame.

Duck & foie gras ravioli. I liked this dish (it wasn't mine) much better than the pici I ordered. Alas, it wasn't so I only got a bite before sending it back to it's rightful owner. Probably the best dish of the night.

Overall, it didn't live up to the past. Pasta dishes weren't showstoppers and the appetizers failed to excite. Next time in Vegas, I'll skip this one in favor of trying a new place.

Jenn's Rating: 81 (for reference, I scored this an 88 the last time)
Zagat: 25-25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment