Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Dining London Style: Jamie's in Covent Garden

For Labor Day Alan and I went to London...him for business and me to tag along and check it out. Since he did have work obligations, I had a few meals on my own including Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant in Covent Garden...two blocks from our hotel at Seven Dials.

This was my first experience with a Jamie Oliver restaurant. I didn't know much about him other than his appearances on Food Network. I didn't even realize he was British until I saw the restaurant and connected the dots. I guess I never actually listened to any of his appearances on Food Network! That all being said - it's a huge place with two floors of dining (below ground & main floor) plus two outdoor patios - one in the interior courtyard and one on Upper Martin's Lane. It had been a gorgeous day but without a reservation, my only option was a tiny table for two in the wine cellar room. Lots of wood and a bit dark, the feeling very much was like being in a wine cellar but warmer.

The menu is made up of typical Italian fare - antipastos, pastas, risottos, main dishes and so on. Not wanting to go over board and not feeling adventurous, I ordered the Humble Green Salad and the Tagliatelle Bolognese that was a Ragu of British beef & pork with herbs, Chianti, Parmesan and crunchy herbed breadcrumbs.

The salad was simple & lackluster; the dressing was void of any noticeable flavor. But the pasta was super fresh with loads of meat and a hearty but not overly sweet red sauce. It was a good size portion that left me full but not uncomfortable (I have the capacity to throw down some serious pasta if given the option).

I paired all this with a glass of the house Rose, A Mano Rosata that was summery and light but forgetful.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend going for a casual, inexpensive meal (14 pounds all in). Order the pasta and try and sit outside if the weather was conducive. It's a popular, hopping place so get reservations!

Jenn: 77
Zagat: 20-19-19
Michelin: no stars

No comments:

Post a Comment