Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Rouge Tomate - Cart in the Park

I've decided to celebrate my first blogosphere experience with a fond farewell to upper mid-town as my office space has moved to a brand new location at 200 5th in Madison Square Park. As I prepare for the many great food experiences of the Flatiron district, it was certainly a worthwhile opportunity to celebrate a last lunch in Central Park. My colleague and I wisely chose to forgo the allegedly so-so 2011 Restaurant Week and instead took a short walk to a new food truck based at 64th Street and 5th Avenue. The truck is a new venture of the acclaimed Rouge Tomate restaurant in Mid Town East. The restaurant is celebrated for its farm to fork philosophy and amazingly fresh and local produce.

The cart did not disappoint. With a seemingly simple menu (two sandwiches, two chilled soups and three sparkling juice drinks) we felt we could not go wrong. The cart offered a lunch special of one of each category as a boxed lunch for only $12-15, a steal in mid-town! We made our selections and waited only a few minutes as each of our lunches was prepared to order.

My colleague, Silvia, and I both chose the BLT, with Woodland Pork Bacon, heirloom tomato, peppery arugula and creamy avocado, all on whole wheat toast. The avocado added a delicious tang to the salty, thick-cut bacon. Red onion rounded out the sandwich with the perfect sweetness and crunch. Definitely one of the heartier, most delicious BLT's I've ever had. The other sandwich choice sounded as equally delicious, being a grilled cheese and tomato on the same whole wheat - will definitely be on my list for the next visit.

We both chose different soups, the best choice to compare! I chose a creamy smooth chilled corn soup with tasty little nibs of corn and cilantro. Silvia chose the heirloom tomato and watermelon gazpacho - a perfect win on a sweltering day!

To round out our lunch in the park, we chose two sparkling juice drinks. I the Amber Palmer - a chilled jasmine tea with grapefruit juice and mint, and for Silvia, the Mint Lemonade with fresh lemons, seltzer and muddled mint.

It was a delicious lunch, and certainly a welcome surprise for a Central Park food truck. Of course on the way home (and because it was 100 degrees out today!) we chose to grab a little froyo for the road. The Cart also offers delicious sounding gelatos and sorbets. Silvia and I both went with the Tahitian Vanilla frozen yogurt - I with fresh strawberries and cocoa nibs, and she with a banana granola. The perfect treat to end a perfect lunch... and a perfect way to say goodbye to the area. If in the area, definitely check out either the cart or the restaurant - sure to impress!
www.rougetomatenyc.com/

3 comments:

  1. Mary,
    Sounds awesome and welcome aboard! I'm hungry again and I just ate.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - I LOVE a BLT with avocado!! I have to break down and finally try a food truck...this one sounds up my alley. Thanks for including the web site - since they don't mention specific days, should I assume they are there every weekday? Can't wait to hear about the new places you discover downtown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rouge Tomate Cart is open Monday - Saturday from 10am - 6pm, we look forward to seeing you at the cart which is located at the Entrance to Central Park on 64th & 5th Avenue.

    ReplyDelete