Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Agora Restaurant

This past Saturday night, Paul and I actually went out to dinner with friends (don't ask what time!). We left the dining choice up to them and they picked a wonderful Mediterranean restaurant in Dupont Circle called Agora. The menu layout is similar to a Spanish tapas restaurant with a wide variety of small plates. We got there early so we ordered hummus to keep Amelia happy while waiting for our friends. The hummus was good but the bread was awesome and piping hot!

After much discussion, we decided to order two dishes each. There was a whole section of cheese so I decided to try a sheep cheese described as being full flavor, fatty with butter aroma, and served with honey comb. The cheese was good on its own but the sweetness of the honey made it better. Paul ordered zucchini pancakes which were deliciously pan fried and had a lovely hint of mint. Our friends ordered fried mussels which were awesome! The batter was light and the mussels tasted very fresh. My next dish was grilled branzino and lemon with olive bread. The dish was good but the bread was disappointing. Paul ordered Adana Kebap which had an awesome spice to it. I don't always like lamb but both lamb dishes I took a bite from had great flavor and no weird aftertaste.

For dessert we tried 3 different dishes but I only liked two of them, a rice pudding with dried fruit and apricots stuffed with walnuts covered in a caramel sauce over mascarpone cheese. The caramel sauce was so good!! Paul and I also got Turkish coffee to end the meal mostly because my friend said she would read our fortune. You drink your coffee down to the grinds, flip the cup over, and wait for it to cool. Then you make a wish and the fortune teller lifts up the cup...if it sticks slightly your wish will come true! The coffee grinds leave stains on the cup and the fortune teller interprets the stains. On my cup we saw a tree which I thought was really Medusa. Who knows what that means but I avoided looking into her eyes!

Here are some pics from our lovely meal:

Waiting for my fortune:


Rice pudding:


Stuffed apricots:


Kebap:


Zucchini cakes:


Fried mussels:


Grilled branzino:

2 comments: