Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

Yesterday something that has never happened before occurred. I got to work and realized I didn't have my wallet. No money, no credit cards. And while I quickly dismissed the fact I had just driven into the city without a license, I was crestfallen when it dawned on me that no money meant no lunch. Surviving on what candy and granola bars I had tucked into various drawers, come end of day...starving! So the inevitable conversation with Alan about what to get for dinner ensued. I wanted something quick to calm the loud, obnoxious sounds coming from my grumbling stomach. So we agree that it's a good night for Chinese. We could use the leftovers to get us through the following day as well.

I called our local Empire Cafe, the take out place we've been frequenting for going on eight years now. And what do I hear on the other end of the phone? Why, this number has been disconnected! I refuse to accept that my favorite little Chinese place is no longer in business and promptly dial 411. Nope, no such business listed in Marlboro. Ugh!!

No warning...no personal message to me, a loyal customer...no sign on the door, just closed. I am sad...but still super hungry.

Empire Cafe is now a distant memory as we rack our brain for another close Chinese take out establishment to try. It takes a few minutes and come to realize, we've got like four others to choose from in a two mile radius from the house. Ah, there's hope!!! We settle on the one we think we remember the name of and call it in.

Long story short - pretty damn good take out Chinese food. Goodbye Empire Cafe, hello Hot Wok!!

No comments:

Post a Comment