Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pluckemin Inn - Summer Wine Tasting & Dinner

Along with Mary & Steve, Alan and I attended the summer wine tasting at the Pluckemin Inn on Sunday, June 26. There were ten distributor tables spread across two floors, each with between 5 and 7 wines they were showcasing. I didn't keep my tasting notes nor do I remember much about what I tried so I'm hoping Alan, Mary & Steve will add their thoughts to this post. I concentrated on Rose and Champagne with a little Pinot thrown in. I do remember clearly that the standouts for me were the Evening Land Pinot from Oregon and the Alfred Gratien rose (joy in a bottle).

After the tasting the four of us were joined by Jeff & Dana for dinner on the patio. Outdoor dining at it's best, it was a perfect temperature to be outside. We decided to all do an appetizer and an entree. I may or may not be able to remember what everyone ordered and since there wasn't a ton of plate trading this time, there are a few of the dishes I won't comment on at all.

To start it off, both Mary and I ordered the half dozen oysters with cocktail sauce and mignonette. One of the things that I really like about the Plucky's oyster appetizer other than the freshness and clean taste of the oysters (usually east coast selections) is that they serve both lemon and lime. Once you've put a little lime on your oysters you won't go back. The mignonette had the appropriate level of briny vinegar to pair perfectly with the raw bites. I saw Mary eating hers with cocktail sauce so hopefully she'll throw in a note about that.

Alan tried to order the tuna and hamachi tartar but was told a few minutes later they were out. He switched to the tried and true Butter Lettuce Salad with pecans, goat cheese and pear (or apple). A really wonderful salad. Jeff ordered the tuna sashimi and Dana got the beat salad. The dish that stood out for me actually though was Steve's risotto with spring peas. Nice flavor, great texture and not overly heavy. Good call, Steve!

For our entrees, Dana and I both got the new Sunday special fried chicken with mashed potatoes and broccoli rabe. They served three nice sized pieces that were coated and fried nicely ~ almost lightly ~ in a crunchy but not greasy coating. The chicken was cooked perfectly, moist and tender. Mine was wonderful and I ate every single bite. The mashed potatoes were also great - really smooth and flavorful and served in their very own crock. I don't remember the rabe.

Alan got the Plucky burger and fries. I'm sure everyone already knows this but I'll state it again. Best. Fries. Ever. Alan said his burger wasn't very good this time around - over cooked and small, it didn't fit the bun well.

Mary ordered a white fish...halibut? I'm not sure. Looked great sitting in the light broth and she said it was very good. Steve ordered the ribs which fell off the bone...he mentioned that he tried them a few weeks before and was very happy with the flavor. We'll have to try them next time. Jeff ordered the steak & frites but I didn't ask how it was.

The Pluckemin Inn is a standby and a favorite. They do a number of dishes very, very well including most fishes. In fact just about everything with shellfish or fish in it have been flavorful and inventive. I didn't see a crab or lobster salad on the menu this time around but it's been one of my go to dishes. I'm sure we'll be back many, many more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment