Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

DBGB Wine Addendum

I wanted to add a quick addendum to Jenn's DBGB food notes that focused on wines.

First off, the restaurant has a really large and interesting beer list. To the point that they can even do match beers to a "tasting menu" type food approach. Thus, if you like beer, and want to try beers that you probably haven't heard of or seen otherwise, put this place on your list.

When we arrived at the restaurant, Jenn and I were a bit early, so we started off with a glass of wine at the bar. Jenn had a glass of Rose, which was quite nice, but I don't remember any of the details. I was looking for a glass of white wine, but something interesting. I decided to try the Mas Cal Demoura L’Etincelle Grenache Blanc/Roussanne blend from the Languedoc. It was just Ok. Actually, maybe less than Ok. It was a bit flabby, as I would have liked more acidity even though I was drinking without food. The aftertaste was a bit bitter as well...just not what I was hoping for. Oh well. Grade of D.

With dinner, I decided that I'd like to have a bottle of red burgundy, since the courses we were having were quite mixed. I picked the following, which was listed as "a rare gem".

2008 Gagnard-Delagrange Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru – When poured the wine had a nice bouquet that jumped from the glass which showed red fruits, floral notes and a touch of spice, which had me quite excited. However, the palate didn’t follow through. It was a bit dry and tannic, showing little fruit, a bit of earthiness, and some minerality. May have needed more time, but the bouquet led me to believe otherwise. Grade of C+.

Lastly, here's the email I sent to the group regarding the food...for posterity sake.

We liked it...wasn't fantastic, but some of the courses were really interesting and good. The atmosphere was kind of cool as well.

The three of each started with a salad. I had the Iceberg & Blue (good, but missing something to make it great), Jenn had the Chop-Chop with Lobster (she said was awesome), and Patty had the Butter Lettuce & Chive (too plain for any restaurant to serve).

Second Course: Jenn had the Asparagus and Fried egg (terrific), and Patty and I shared the Thai (awesome) and Beaujolaise (very safe and ok) sausages.

Entrees: Patty had the Mussels & Frites (good but got cold fast), Jenn had the Pappardelle Bourguignon (which was good, but really good today for lunch...needed time to integrate flavors), and I had the Piggie Burger (excellent, but how could it not be with a beef burger topped with pulled pork!). Mine also came with Frites, which really stole the show. They were awesome.

Dessert: we all shared a Baked Alaska, which had vanilla & verbena ice cream with Raspberry sorbet, almond cake-like stuff, topped with meringue that was flambeed. Great looking, although the flavors didn't match well IMO. All of us liked parts, but not sure about the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment