Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bottle Shock!

OK. So if you’re reading this blog (and I know you are), odds are you are in an area that was hit today by the East Coast Earthquake of 2011. First off, I hope all of you and your loved ones are safe, sound, and sharing a nice bit of food and drink to celebrate the fact that you are safe and sound. If you decided to play it cool this evening to let the (after)shock of the day wear off, no need to worry. We’ve got you covered!


Sarah, Amelia, and I ended up at home earlier than expected in light of the great quake, and decided to celebrate the fact that we were still alive. What better way to do that than with wine?!?! And since we were celebrating such a precious thing as life, I thought it a good idea to dip into the cellar and get something that would be special. So I reached for my dwindling stash of 1998 Chateauneuf du Papes and pulled out a bottle of the 1998 Domaine des Relagnes Cuvee Vigneronne—my last bottle of this particular wine.

I was really looking forward to this wine, as I do with all my 1998s, which is the first vintage of CdP I ever had the pleasure of owning. For me, each of these is a special occasion. We had had the in Alabama in April with Alan and Jenn, and I thought it showed fairly well then. I had hoped it would be at least as good as it was then, particularly with such a happy celebration. My hopes were quickly dashed.

On the nose, it seemed fine. Hints of spice and an unexpected bit of ripe strawberry screamed “I have promise! Drink me!” Upon pouring it for the rest of the gang (Sarah’s parents were over as well), I probably should have been more on guard upon seeing the muted garnet color and the bits of sediment (even though I used a strainer-pourer) as the wine filled the glasses. But the bouquet’s shouts were still fresh in my ears, so I took a drink undaunted. Though not vinegar, the liquid in my glass certainly was not wine anymore. No fruit was evident, and the vinous flavors were not pleasant at all. After two sips, the wine began to show flavor hints of being more garbage than barnyard. We put it to the side in the hopes it would get better as it opened up—after an hour, it was worse than ever. We poured out the rest of our bottle. Sad.

Not to be denied, I went back to the 1998 well and upped the ante, this time picking my favorite of the vintage, the 1998 Beaucastel. I wanted a 1998 CdP to celebrate living through an earthquake and I was not to be denied! For me, this one was great. Right away, I was hit with obvious flavors of ripe black cherry, tobacco, light charcoal, a little black pepper, a hint of kalamata olive, unsweetened chocolate, and braised meats. It also had a nice 30-second finish. Though tasting great right out of the bottle, it got much more accessible and well-rounded after about 30 minutes out. It definitely could have held out in the cellar for another 5 years easily, but who wants to wait 5 more years to celebrate surviving an earthquake???

Perhaps the most interesting thing was that Sarah wasn’t immediately enamored with the wine. She warmed to it as the Beaucastel opened up a bit more, but I don’t think she ultimately thought of it as well as I did. I think she just wasn’t feeling in a vinous wine kind of mood, and was hoping for something a bit more fruity.

To make up for not hitting the wine sweet spot for Sarah (and because everyone needs an excuse to open a third bottle of wine on a Tuesday), I went a California wine route, and pulled out a 2005 Carlisle Pelkan Ranch Knights Valley Syrah. Right off the bat I knew I had a winner. Out of the bottle, the color of the wine was nearly pitch black. The bouquet has meaty notes of spicy black currant. On the palate, it runs the gamut from blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, to vanilla, cocoa, black pepper, and earthy notes. A powerful wine, I thought this drank very well tonight. It more than made up for the Relagnes bottle disaster of 2011, and was a great way to finish our celebration of surviving the Great East Coast Quake of 2011!!

I hope this post finds all of you well sated and (more importantly) safe.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the Relagnes, as the bottle in Alabama was both enjoyable and memorable. Glad to hear the Beaucastel is still showing well, however. I'm glad you weren't deterred from your celebration.

    ReplyDelete