Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Culinary Tour of Philadelphia - Reading Terminal Market

On our first trip away from our almost 10 month old baby, Rich & I decided to do what we like best....Eat & Drink! After doing a quick review of Zagat's of the top rated restaurants in the cities surrounding us, we decided to go to Philadelphia. Given that I am a planner & enjoy making lists, I mapped out our journey based on where we would eat throughout the 3 days we are here. First stop - Reading Terminal Market. For those of you that don't know what this is, it is a gigantic indoor market area right by the Pennsylvania Convention Center on 12th & Arch Streets. When you walk in, you are almost overwhelmed by the sheer number of people & food vendors....and this on a Friday afternoon at 3pm. Given that this was supposed to be our lunch trip, we were absolutely starving and headed straight for our Food stand of choice - Dinic's Roast Pork. I'm a little embarassed to admit that although I have been to Philly countless times & spent 4 years here in college, I had never had the Philly Roast Pork sandwich. In fact, I didn't even know that Philly had a sandwich other than the beloved cheesesteak for which they were famous. However, thanks to Adam Richman on Man vs. Food, Rich & I were introduced to Dinic's Roast Pork. We split a large hoagie-style sandwich of delicious, thinly-sliced Roast Pork, sharp salty Provolone Cheese, & a nice topping of broccoli rabe. When we unwrapped the sandwich, it was already dripping with juice & the mesh of all the ingredients was incredible. In less than 5 minutes, this sandwich was gone. Somehow, the 20 minute wait for a 5 minute sandwich eating experience was vindicated. Is it as good as the Philly cheesesteak? I don't know if a comparison can be made.....you're just going to have to get both! Up next.....Dinner #1 - Vetri Restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw the Man vs Food episode that talked about this, and I have to say that I am way jealous! Have to make a trip to Philly to try it.

    ReplyDelete