Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

A couple of wine odds & ends

1996 Anne Gros Clos Vougeot Le Grand Montmirail Burgundy – Jeff joined Jenn and I for dinner at our house after a tax/financials meeting. We were having a combination of Arctic Char and marinated chicken, so I wanted a food friendly red. This was a bottle that was given to me for helping a friend out with his wine cellar inventory. I had high expectations, as I often do with red Burgundy, since this was a good vintage, an appellation that I generally enjoy, and a very good producer. I honestly was a bit disappointed. Despite being 15 years old, it seemed somewhat muted. The color and bouquet suggested a full flavored wine, almost “big” in a California sense, but the palate didn’t follow through. As I only had one try at this, I was hoping for something more. Oh well.

NV Tarlant Cuvee Tradition Brut Champagne – My sister Lynne came to the house to spend the day by the pool. As a precursor to dinner, we opened this. I don’t have a lot of experience with Tarlant, but have been interested in trying them as I’ve heard good things. Thus, I bought two bottles from Hi-Time wines for $35 each. The first bottle I had back in February seemed a bit acidic and not as enjoyable as I would have liked. This bottle was clearly better. The fruit and acid were more balanced with the 6 additional months of bottle age, and I liked the value relative to the price. I will look for more, but keep an eye on the disgorgement date in order to try to not open it too early.

1 comment:

  1. I can't really add much about burgundy because it was unremarkable. I was a bit out of it when you chose the wine so all I really remembered was that it had some age on it. When it was opened the nose showed a lot of promise, but it tasted extremely young and as you said 'muted'. I was surprised to read that it was this bottle as I didn't pay close attention to the label.

    ReplyDelete